Wednesday 2 March 2011

Spring has Sprung


I realise I am not going to be the first blogger to mention that Spring has Sprung.  I thought I would share we you why Spring has Sprung here in my little bit of Cornwall.

It's been a long cold winter this year, normally in my bit of Cornwall I don't need to scrap the car windows before setting off in the morning, I've never had to protect my garden from frosts, generally it's quite pleasant.

This winter has been slightly different, the car has been scraped more than a few times - we even considered buying some de-icer, and the onion and garlic bulbs have been covered by a horticultural fleece - though some of that reasoning was to protect them from the chickens.

However, the weather has warmed up considerably over the last month and I'm getting out in the garden a bit more.

For the last week I have been quite poorly, I have just about managed to get out of bed and dressed everyday but that's about it, not been safe to drive and no energy for the garden or a walk.  This morning when I woke up I felt a little bit better, so I got on my jeans and wellies and got out there, I think I may have overestimated my energy levels though so I just had a little wander about.  I did manage to sow some Spring Onion seeds (White Lisbon) which I've been meaning to do for ages and check the seedlings in the greenhouse that I'd sown a few weeks back.

I also checked on the growth on the various fruit trees and was pleased to see that everything has little shoots.  The rhubarb was the best surprise though, I put a homemade forcer over the crown a month or two ago (it's an old cracked pot - a bit like myself) and when I took the put off this is what I discovered...

Despite not wanting to spend money on a "proper" forcer, the rhubarb has grown so much that I may have to invest in one - perhaps my afternoon's energy can be spent at the local garden centre, though I'm not normally allowed there unsupervised :D

Failing that I shall make a rhubarb crumble and sit down with my Veg Patch book, a cup of tea and my pot of seeds for a bit of planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment