Sunday 6 March 2011

One of our chickens is missing!

So, it's Sunday afternoon, it's a nice day, the dog needs a bath so Husband and I decide to take the dog to the woods (he needs cleaning anyway so might as well get him really muddy).

We put on our wellies, get into Bertie (they'll be a post about our vehicles coming soon) and off we drove.  We left Son and Step-daughter at home quietly amusing themselves, the cat asleep on the bed and the chickens happily wondering around in their enclosure.



As we walked through the woods we mentioned what a nice weekend we'd had, yesterday we went on a Hatch, Match and Dispatch course we was very educational, this morning I managed to pick up a second-hand incubator in very good condition for a good price.  I also managed to get out in the garden and sow some more seeds - carrots, parsnips, turnips, lettuce, spinach, rocket and radishes.

We got home from our walk feeling lovely and refreshed, it was the first time in a week and a half when I've actually felt well - it was a lovely feeling.

I asked Son to bath the dog (he's still paying off his gerbil debt) and I went out in the garden to have a mooch around.  Rachael chicken was lying in the sunshine enjoying her sunbathing, Phoebe was nowhere to be seen so I went to the enclosure and looked in the houses wondering if she was in laying today's egg.  Well she wasn't - she was nowhere to be seen or heard, I wondered if perhaps she was hiding behind one of the trees so I went to have a good look around, it soon became apparent that she had completely vanished!

Rachael chicken was happily wondering around, gently clucking and being very calm and normal.  There were no feathers around, no sign of any scratching around some of the lower fencing, no sign of any chicken in any of the neighbours gardens.

I am stumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment