Wednesday 9 March 2011

Hatching a Plan!

So, those that have read my previous blog post here and some of you from Twitter will know that I recently had my first go at hatching some chicks in an incubator (this one)


Well, to be honest, the result wasn't great - we had one hatch from six eggs and it ended up being a boy so we couldn't keep him anyway.


So, whilst chatting to some lovely chickeny friends on Twitter one night (@madchickenlady @scrummycupcake @mumsmuddyducks and @chickenstreet) I noticed a tweet from @chickenstreet saying about his hatching eggs that he has for sale.  It wasn't the first time I'd seen the tweet but this time I was more in a position to take notice so I visited the Chicken Street website.

After a few tweets back and forth, Andy (@chickenstreet) told me to call or email him to discuss the different types of breeds that he had available.  So I did, and boy am I glad!  Andy has turned out to be the nicest, most helpfulest (that's proper English you know) man I've ever met (apart from Husband of course).


I told Andy about my situation and what I wanted from a chicken and what I didn't want and he told me the breeds most suited to my needs.  So, after having a little think (about 5 seconds) I decided to go for 6 Ixworth eggs.  The incubator currently has duck eggs in residence
so I asked Andy if he would except a Pre-order and he said "Of course, no problem at all!".  Then I got searching on eBay for a new (2nd) incubator as I'm not very good at waiting for things.



So, I ordered an incubator, it came (and I had to confess to Husband about it) but was rubbish, so it went back again.  However, during a visit to Mole Valley for some chicken feed, Husband noticed an advert for a 2nd hand incubator – the exact one I wanted – a Brinsea Digital Octagon!  I wrote down the phone number, phoned up, went to visit the next day and bought it – for a fantastic price too (see, no patience)!  Then of course I was straight back in contact with Andy to order my eggs, this all coincided with Phoebe going missing (see here) so I decided to order 12 eggs instead of the original 6.

Well, today they arrived!
6 Light Sussex and 6 Ixworth, they are currently 'resting' before being put into the incubator tonight.

So, with any luck, at the end of the month we shall have lots of fuzzy babies.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your hatch, it's one of the best feelings in the world your first chick. Its almost as good as laying it yourself. Even after keeping Chickens for over 25 years the thrill each morning coming down to new family is so good.I hope you post some more and let us all know how you do.
    Good luck again from Nadine @Norfolkbrahmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadine of Norfolk - just you try and stop me from posting photos of the babies! :D

    ReplyDelete